Last month I was lucky to attend the Social Media Marketing World Convention put on in San Diego by Social Media Examiner. For those of you that don’t know what that is; it’s the largest Social Media Marketing conference in the country, if not the world. In fact I had lunch one day with Celine from Belgium and Max from Italy and I also sat in Amy Porterfield’s workshop with Darren Rouse from Australia. There were over 3000 people there with 100 sessions and workshops and non-stop networking. So, here are some of my major takeaways from the 3 days.
Fun at Social Media Marketing World 2016
1. Everything is dependent upon relationships. While the focus at the conference was on the relationship between businesses and their customers, the same applies to life in general. Whether you’re talking about friends, lovers or family – everything is based on relationships. In business people buy from people they know, like and trust.
2. Consistency is everything! In business if you say you’ll do something, you have to follow through or you’ll lose business. For example, if you say you have a no questions asked 30 day refund policy and someone wants a return on day 29, you have to just refund their money without any questions. In your fitness and diet, consistency also is of the utmost importance. If you eat healthy and workout for one week and then quit you’re not going to see the results you’d see if you worked out and ate clean consistently. Here’s a past post I wrote on how I stay organized: http://getfitnowwithcheryl.com/fitness-journey/how-to-organize-your-life-find-more-time-for-whats-important-to-you/
3. Sales – Facebook is full of ads now and while those of us in business for ourselves use it to sell our services and products, you can and must do so without being sleazy. You have to respect your audience and if you’re honest with them they may become loyal customers.
4. On the subject of customers, they are not all the same – just like your friends are not all the same and we all find success with different exercise programs. People need to find what works for them and we have to respect that in each other. What a boring world this would be if we were all the same.
5. You may have noticed if you’re on Facebook that you’re not seeing some of the posts of people you were seeing as much. Facebook has changed their algorithm and while no one at the conference new exactly what they use to come up with that algorithm, it has definitely affected what we all see in our news feeds. What you’re seeing now is more ads or “boosted posts”. Facebook has decided that if you’re a business using Facebook you’re going to have to pay to play. It’s sad but a reality so it’s just something we’ll all have to get used to.
6. This one is so simple that I hesitated to include it but it is so important and I think overlooked and that is to ask people what they want instead of assuming we know the answers. In fitness, we as trainers need to ask what kind of realistic goals our clients have and how they currently live. In business we need to ask our audience what they need help with. Just ask! I wrote a two part post last June talking about staying on track with the goals that you set here:http://getfitnowwithcheryl.com/fitness-journey/10-tips-to-help-with-your-mid-year-resolution-checkup/
7. We all need to be genuine whether in business or friendship. In my business, I found that while I try to inspire and entertain others about fitness and help them, I’ve never really told my story about how I got into fitness; my struggles as I lost weight, gained some back and now am losing again. My friend, Kim Garst, inspired me to tell my story and that’s what I’m going to start doing next week so stay tuned.
8. Well, I’ve saved the biggest and number one thing that everyone spoke about at the conference for last……video is the king of social media in 2016 and Facebook Live is the best of them all. While Periscope is still big and fun to watch, Facebook Live is a game changer and you know where I said back in number 5 that Facebook has changed their algorithm, well the one thing they did say about it was that videos on Facebook Live get 10 times (that’s right 10 times) the clout in that algorithm while it is live so if you want to be seen for your friends or business, get on Facebook Live. That’s where I’ll be telling my story and I’m including my first one here where I talk about all these Social Media changes. Here’s my first Facebook Live if you missed it
So, stay tuned friends. I’ll be back on Facebook live next week – I’ll let you know when before I do – and watch for more and more of your friends getting on there too. If I can do it, so can you so let’s see some Facebook Live!!! Tag me in them so I can find you! Don’t be shy☺